Thursday, May 25, 2006

Let's Throw the Bum Out

huffingtonpost.com
Bill Press
Let's Throw the Bum Out

I know, I'm a Democrat. And I'm supposed to beat up on Republicans when they break the law - and look the other way, when Democrats break the law.

Well, guess what? I'm not that kind of Democrat. Believe it or not, I have no patience with crooks - of either party.

Which is why I have no sympathy for, and refuse to defend, Democratic Congressman William Jefferson of Louisiana.

Yes, he's innocent until proven guilty. So's Tom Delay. And Bob Ney. But the evidence looks mighty bad - against all three of them.

In Jefferson's case, a Kentucky businessman has pleaded guilty to offering him $400,000 in return for help getting government contracts. Jefferson denies taking the money - yet the FBI found $90,000 in cold cash, hidden away in the freezer of Jefferson's home - and, get this - in bills marked by the FBI before the businessman handed them to him.

Looks like a slam dunk to me. I'd vote to throw Jefferson out of Congress - and into federal prison.

But - does that mean that Democrats are just as mired as Republicans in wrong-doing?

No way. In the list of politicians now under investigation, the count is now: Republicans 15, Democrats 1.

No doubt which is the party of corruption.